Saturday, September 1, 2007

From Sydney, with love

I can't believe how much travelling I've done this year. It seems that I always talk about "my last trip to..."or "I'm going to..." or "I'm now in..." somewhere other than Singapore. No wonder I never felt like I belong in anywhere. Guess that's probably because I'm never in one place long enough! And here I am, in Sydney, thinking that I've stayed in Singapore long enough that I should move to Hong Kong.

Anyway, yes, I'm in Sydney, Australia, on a trip that's long overdue, in my opinion. I was here two years ago to give birth to my daughter. I've always loved the thought of being in Sydney. I'm not sure if I can say the same of actually being here, but whenever I am here, I wish I could stay a bit longer, and whenever I am not, I long for the next time I come back. Does that mean I love it here? Maybe... if my husband liked it here, if things weren't so expensive, if the tax rates weren't so high...

The funny thing is, whenever I'm here, I always find something new and interesting to consider taking up as a hobby. The last time I was here, I discovered glass beadmaking. I tried my hands on it for a while, but I've given it up because it's not a very safe hobby with a little girl running around the house (not to mention how hot it gets playing with fire in a tropical country like Singapore).

This time, I discovered gocco printing. It's a home printing system that originated from Japan. The original manufacturer decided to stop producing the system due to declining demand in its home country, but one can still get the machines and supplies from certain places in US and, thankfully, Australia. In short, it's a dying art, and that's what makes it so enticing (at least to me). Just imagine, everything I make with it is "limited edition", soon to be one-of-a-kind, and dare I say, vintage! How cool is that!

I have a great idea in my mind which I will work on as soon as I go back to Singapore. Just keep your fingers crossed for me and pray that it won't be as short-lived as my glass beadmaking venture.

No comments: