Thursday, September 20, 2007

More sketches

Apart from owning and living a shophouse, I've also been dreaming about something else. And that is to print my own fabric. Okay, I have a lot of dreams, but lately these are the ones that have been occupying my mind a lot. My dear dad would be so disappointed if he knew that none of those dreams involve banking, finance or anything in between, but it's better to have a dream than to have none at all, don't you think?

I've been fantasizing about printing my own fabric ever since I caught a glimpse of marimekko fabrics a few years ago. I just love the beautiful designs and colours on the fabrics. I don't really know why I'm obsessed with fabrics, since I don't really sew, I just love them. I've acquired a modest collection of fabrics ever since. Most of them remnants, since I can't justify paying the usual price per metre, given my lack of sewing skill. I've collected a variety of fabrics, from Designers Guild's velvets, some pvc, Lara Cameron's printed cotton drill, some bits and pieces from Spotlight, and my latest acquisitions from Sydney (see below pictures to share my excitement), Cloth's printed hemp and Ici et La's colourful deckchair cotton.


I'm going to dedicate the whole of tomorrow to stitch up a sling bag for my darling sister using one of the fabrics. So please keep your fingers crossed for me. Ha!

Now back to printing my own fabric. I've been thinking, since I'm so obsessed with fabrics, I should try printing my own designs. This dream was further reinforced after I came across Lara Cameron's Kirin & Co fabric, which then led to Kristen Doran's fabric, which then led to more inspiring designers who print their own fabrics. The difference between them and me are, they have a background in design. I have a background in Finance and Marketing (I've always been more of a number person than a drawing person). That means I have a lot of catching up to do.

Therefore I've been sketching things other than shophouses too.




What do you think?

No comments: