Monday, September 17, 2007

First sketch

Who do they say is behind a successful woman? Everybody knows that behind a successful man is a woman, but what about a successful woman? Who's behind her? I'm starting to suspect that behind a successful woman is herself.

I've known for quite some time now that my dear husband isn't exactly who to go to for encouragement. Don't get me wrong, he IS the man when it comes to a dose of patience and understanding, and I do love him and am thankful to God for that. It's just that sometimes, I wish he'd be more encouraging in areas other than cooking and taking care of the kid. For example, in developing the creative side of me.

You see, I've never really had a hobby and it's been bothering me for who-knows-how-long. I love the idea of making things, but I've never really made anything. I love the idea of drawing, but I've never really drawn since secondary school. I know I don't really have much time for anything now that I am a mom, but I dislike the idea that one should let go of one's personal dreams and interests just because the young 'un came along. My daughter still comes first, but wouldn't she be happier if her mom has an interest in something other than her and is happy pursuing it? I wished my mom had a career or something she's deeply involved in while I was growing up, so she could be happy about it and share her excitement, skills and knowledge with me. Sadly, most of my memory about my mom during my childhood was that of her scolding after scolding after scolding. I absolutely do not wish to be remembered as such by my own daughter.

So, I've decided that I should start developing my creative side and I've been practising my drawing skill and starting projects (or at least planning) for making things with my sewing machine. After some drawing attempts, I remembered that I had drawn a blueprint of a house interior during my secondary school and I was really proud of the result. I guess it was because I was obsessed with precision and blueprints are nothing but that. I also remembered that I absolutely loved and adored conservation shophouses or terrace houses, and I still do. So before long, I started drawing these shophouses. Here are some sketches.

I know they're far from excellent (they're lacking precision!) but it's a start and I am pleased with it. I even thought of selling them! I'm jumping ahead of myself here, but I like to think that someone might like it too and like it enough to want one.

So out of curiosity, I asked my husband how much he'd pay for something like that. His answer was quick, "I'd never pay for it." Oookaay.... Then I tried rephrasing, how much would he think was fair for me to buy it. So he said, "Three dollars." THREE DOLLARS?! I couldn't get a plate of chicken rice for three dollars! His justification was, it was a fair price for a 'postcard'. He likened my artwork for a postcard that has been mass printed in China.

I suddenly found myself losing interest in anything. I must've been sitting on the sofa looking like a blank sheet for a few minutes. I was so disappointed and demoralised. But I quickly convinced myself that he was probably not a good representation of my 'target market' and besides, what does he know about 'art'? So it looks like I have only myself to rely on and I am so glad I have this blog to at least clear my thoughts and convince myself to persevere in whatever I'm doing. And if you happen to read it, thank you for reading it this far. I hope you'll give your loved ones some encouragement whenever they need one, even if you think their work is nothing better than a lousy postcard.

2 comments:

tsuseno said...

Grace,

I couldn't see your sketch here. But I completely agree that you should continue to develop your creative side.

I remember that you had great talent in music - you should continue that you know.

Also, btw sometimes behind every man there's also himself... and his God I guess :)

Cheers
Tri

Anonymous said...

Mom,
I laughed out so loud after wp said 3 dollars. I could imagine the situation. :D
I'll tell you someting about myself. Few months ago, My mom told my dad about the fee I charged as a photographer. Dad was shocked and wondering who crazy paying for that. I would be discouraged if I never got the clients or just starting.
There's no limited floor or ceiling for art. Just match it with who value. And you will never know until you show it out!

Pam